“The Earth laughs in flowers”
Some restful meditations on the beauty of flowers – chosen from Youtube by Zen Moments
“If we could see the miracle of a single flower clearly, our whole life would change.” – Buddhist Saying.
“Most people in the city rush around so, they have no time to look at a flower. I want them to see it whether they want to or not.”
“Nobody sees a flower — really — it is so small it takes time — we haven’t time — and to see takes time, like to have a friend takes time.” –
“The Earth laughs in flowers.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
Grateful thanks to the following for making their videos available:
Georgia O’Keeffe: Flowers in the Desert
By Britta Benke
Quotes from Georgia O’Keefe:
• Making your unknown, known is the important thing.
• I have things in my head that are not like what anyone has taught me — shapes and ideas so near to me — so natural to my way of being and thinking that it hasn’t occurred to me to put them down. I decided to start anew, to strip away what I had been taught.
• I know I cannot paint a flower… but maybe in terms of paint color I can convey to you my experience of the flower or the experience that makes the flower of significance to me at that particular time.
• When you take a flower in your hand and really look at it, it’s your world for the moment. I want to give that world to someone else. Most people in the city rush around so, they have no time to look at a flower. I want them to see it whether they want to or not.
• Isn’t it enough just to express yourself?
• Slits in nothingness are not very easy to paint.
• I’ve been absolutely terrified every moment of my life — and I’ve never let it keep me from doing a single thing I wanted to do.